When Valentine’s Day falls on Wednesday, you have two weekends to enjoy a Valentine’s romantic getaway, and we can suggest the perfect way to celebrate – the 2018 Wine & Chocolate Week in Northeastern PA’s Columbia & Montour Counties, from February 9 – 18, 2018. Each of the eight wineries on the Trail will offer special chocolate pairings with their wines, and most offer a range of wines from dry to sweet, and white to red, plus blush and fruit or seasonal wines. Here are some of the wines that suggest Valentine’s fun:
- Colonel Ricketts Hard Cider Winery: The varieties of apples blended and barrel aging create flavors for tastes from dry and tart to semi-sweet. Location: 4360 Red Rock Rd, Benton, PA 17814. Phone: (570) 854-1948.
- Elk Mountain Winery: Lovers might choose to taste their Risque Red – “A sultry blend of Cherry and Pomegranate” and Hanky Panky – a “Blueberry Pomegranate blend that will make you a little frisky”. Location: 24670 Bennetts Valley Hwy, Weedville, PA 15868. Phone: (814) 834-9463.
- Fres Farm Winery: Here, Starry Nights a sweeter white from Frontenac Gris grapes, suggests romantic evenings under the stars, while their Port-Style Athair Laidir aged in American and French oak is a traditional chocolate pairing. Location: 130 Twin Church Rd, Berwick, PA 18603. Phone: (570) 759-9463.
- Pickering Winery: If you know why some covered bridges are called ‘Honeymoon Bridges’ (where lovers could sneak a kiss), their Covered Bridge Red is the perfect choice. Location: 1537 PA-487, Orangeville, PA 17859. Phone: (570) 387-9700.
- O’Donnell Winery: If dry wines are your style, try their “ABU”, a full-bodied “Amarone” style red, rich with dark cherry, dark berry, and chocolate notes. Location: 25 Hayes Rd, Berwick, PA 18603. Phone: (570) 759-1375.
- Red Shale Ridge Winery: Why not pair chocolate with their gold medal winning Strawberry wine, or perhaps Strazzberry, that blends both strawberry and black raspberry? Location: 266 N Good Spring Rd, Hegins, PA 17938. Phone: (570) 682-3203.
- Shade Mountain Winery and Vineyard: This wineries offerings range from dry to sweet to Ice wines, including red, white, blush, and fruit varieties. Rascal Red, a Sangria-like wine, could add some spicy notes to your romantic Valentine’s toasts. Location: 16140 PA-104, Middleburg, PA 17842. Phone: (570) 837-3644.
- Three Dogs Vino: Returning to Bloomsburg, you might decide that white wines Cuddles or Lazy Daze are great choices at the end of the Trail. Location: 129 Hidlay Church Rd, Bloomsburg, PA 17815. Phone: (570) 389-0151.
If you visit all eight wineries, you will be entered in a drawing for wine prizes, including a Grand Prize basket with gifts from all the wineries. All the wineries will be open on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays these two weekends, though hours may vary, so check the individual websites for hours and directions. Participating in the Trail is free, but some wineries have tasting room fees.
Of course, you know where to stay on your romantic Valentine’s weekend – The Inn, Farmhouse, and Brewing Company at Turkey Hill. Visit our website or give us a call to reserve your favorite of our uniquely decorated guest rooms, choose a time for a romantic dinner at our Farmhouse Restaurant, and looking forward to sharing your favorite wine from Chocolate & Wine Week by a cozy fire. Happy Valentine’s Day!